Quality Assurance Department consist of two (2) divisions, namely;
1) Inspection Division The inspection covers the following areas –
- Landing inspection at the points of entry namely the Queen Elizabeth II Quay is now in progress. This Landing inspection facility will be extended to the other areas of entry like Lungi and the Bo water side in the near future when adequate logistics are available.
- Factory inspection whereby products are collected for analysis at the labs to confirm conformity to the already adopted or approved standards is in progress.
- Surveillance inspection at the markets to ensure compliance and conformity to the related standards is also in progress.
2) Certification Division
The division covers both, product certification & system certification
As of now we issue only certificates of analysis for the various products brought to the Laboratories for analysis. The Certification of Products with the issuance of the Quality Mark has not yet started.
The Quality infrastructure involves the implementation of both the ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and the ISO 9001:2008
For the ISO/IEC 17025:2005, which is the quality implementation for the laboratories, the Quality Manual and the Technical Manuals for the laboratories have been developed with all their forms and the related Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
For the implementation of the ISO 9001:2008, a draft procedure has been developed with the related Inspection procedures, certification Plans and the Quality mark to be used but nothing has been done further.
1. Development and implementation of the National Quality Infrastructure to help promote competitiveness of enterprises and to strengthen trade relations between communities nationally.
2. Helps in the setting up of Product certification Scheme through the strengthening of the Quality Infrastructure which ensures consistent improvement in the quality of products.
3. Helps in Surveillance inspection of Factories, warehouses, Shops and markets to ensure their compliance to national standards for the safety of human beings, animals and plants through the promotion of national and international best practices.
4. Promoting the certification of Factories, Institutions and Establishments to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System.
5. Ensures better training for better food production, Packaging, storage, Transportation and Distributions in order to maintain their quality through out.
6. Promoting the organization of Quality Awards to Factories, Institutions and Establishments annually.
7. Responsible for the Development, Promotion and implementation of Quality Marks to Products that are produced locally.
8. Responsible for the Development and Implementation of the Quality Manual and its Policies and Procedures under ISO 17025.
9. Helps facilitate the Accreditation of the laboratories to be internationally recognized and to locally ascertain the competence of the conformity assessment services.